One may have major depression Clinical Depression when he has constant sense of hopelessness and despair. Those who has clinical depression will have difficulties in doing work, study, sleep, eat, and enjoy with friends. One could have clinical depression once in their life. However other could have several times in their life. In some cases there could be Major depression generation to the next in families.
Major or Clinical Depression
Clinical depression is a sever mode of depressed mood. In this case people will or may not show their interest in normal activities and relation and the symptoms may present every day or may remain for at least 2 weeks. According to DSM-5 one may have other symptoms with major depression. Those symptoms could be
- Fatigue or loss of energy.
- Feel worthlessness or guilt.
- Reduced concentration and indefiniteness
- Sleeplessness or hypermedia.
- Noticeably reduced interest or desire in almost all activities
- Frequent thoughts of death or suicide
- Weight loss or gain significantly.
Who Is at Risk for clinical Depression?
- According to the National Institute of Mental Health about 20% to 25% of adults can suffer an event of major depression at their lifetime.
- Major depression also disturbs older adults, teens and children.
Major Depression risk in women
By nature women are more social than men. They are kind hearted and caring nature. So they are more sensitive and faithful to their child and family members. Sentiment , shock, stress and sensitivity to issues plays vital role to get anxiety and depression. Evidence and research shows that
- Nearly twice as many women as men have major or clinical depression. Hormonal changes during adolescence, menstruation, pregnancy, miscarriage, and menopause might increase the risk.
- Problems that boost the risk of clinical depression in women increased tension at home or at work. Balancing family life with career, and caring for an elderly parent. Levitation a child alone also increase the risk.
Signs of Major Depression in Men
Men suffering from clinical depression are less likely to seek help or even talk about their experience. Depression Sign in men includes irritability, anger, or drug and alcohol abuse . Suppressing negative feelings Suppression can consequence in violent behavior. It can cause illness, suicide thoughts and homicide.
Major Depression triggers
Common triggers or causes of depression include:
- Loosing loved one due to death, divorce, or separation
- feelings of depressed due to Social isolation
- changes in life style because of moving, job change or retirement
- conflicts in relationships
- Physical, sexual, or emotional exploitation
Major Depression Diagnosis
Depression Diagnosis are done by a doctor or a psychiatrist by performing thorough medical evaluation. An expert will ask your personal and family psychiatric history and will ask questions that screen for the symptoms of major depression. Blood test, X-ray, or other laboratory test is not there to diagnose major depression. Though, doctor may run blood tests to detect any other medical problems which have similar symptoms to those of depression. Such as in hypothyroidism some similar symptoms as depression are seen.
Major Depression Treatment
Major or clinical depression is a serious disease but the good thing is that it is treatable illness. Depending on the symptoms the doctor or a psychiatrist might recommend antidepressant medication together with psychotherapy or talk therapy. Here you will be address your emotional state. other treatment options for clinical depression are electro convulsive therapy( ECT). Shock therapy is used if drugs prove ineffective or symptoms are severe.
Prevention of Major Depression
Once you have occurrence of major depression you are at high risk of another too. One of the best ways to prevent another occurrence of depression is to be conscious of the triggers or causes of major depression and continue taking the prescribed medication to avoid relapse. It is also vital to know the symptoms of major depression and talk to your doctor as early as you have any of these symptoms.