To look for Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens the parents should watch the behavior of their children and should visualize this character of their children
- Do The child shows intense mood changes
- Does the child shows extreme behavior changes
- Do the child get over excited or overactive than other of the same age?
- is other complain that your child is too excited or too moody?
- Look highs and lows level, is this is much more in your child than other children?
- how these mood changes affect your child acts at school or at home?
If these symptoms are found in the children or teenage they may be suffering from a bipolar disorder which is a serious mental illness.
What is a bipolar disorder?(Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
Bipolar disorder a kind of serious brain sickness and is also known as manic-depressive illness or manic depression. Usually, the Kids with bipolar disorder exhibit unusual mood changes. In this case, they occasionally feel very happy or up, and remain more energetic and active than normal kids of their age. It is known as a manic episode. Again reversely sometimes they feel very sad and “down,” and remains less active than normal. It is depression or a depressive episode.
Bipolar symptoms the mood swings go to the extreme and are accompanied by changes in sleep, energy level, and the ability to think clearly. Because of Bipolar symptoms, the child may not be able to do well in school or get along with friends and family members. In extreme cases of illness can teenagers with bipolar disorder may try to hurt themselves or attempt suicide. Hence kids and teens should get proper treatment in time of their bipolar illness so that they can manage their symptoms and lead successful lives.
Why does someone develop bipolar disorder? (Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
The cause of bipolar disorder is unknown. Doctors do not understand what causes bipolar disorder. However, it is assumed that several factors could be the reason for the development of the bipolar disorders such as
- Family genes, though it is not necessary that if someone in the family has bipolar disorder other members too will get this illness.
- Brain structure is also a factor that may lead to bipolar disorder. Scientists are researching more about the bipolar disorder. Finding of research result may help doctors to do a better treating people and could predict whether a person will get bipolar disorder.
The symptoms of bipolar disorder (Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
In case of bipolar mood episodes, children may show uncommon mood changes along with unfamiliar sleep habits, activity levels, thoughts, or behavior. In a child, these mood and activity changes must be very different from their usual behavior and from the behavior of other children. There could be manic episodes, depressive episodes, or “mixed in a person with bipolar disorder.
Children and teens having a hectic episode may: (Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
- Feel very happy or act unusually.
- Will Have a very short temper
- Talk categorically fast about a lot of different things
- Will have trouble sleeping though he may not feel tired
- trouble in staying concentrated
- More often will Talk and think about sex.
- perform risky things
Children and teens having depressive episode may:(Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
- Feel and remain very sad
- Will exhibit lot of pain in stomachaches and headaches
- May Sleep too little or too much
- Feel guilty and worthless
- Eat too little or too much
- no interest in fun activities
- Think about death or suicide
Do children and teens with bipolar disorder may have other problems? (Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
Bipolar disorder Children and teens may have numerous kinds of problems Such as Substance abuse, Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Children having bipolar disorder and ADHD may have difficulty in staying focused and Anxiety disorders, like separation anxiety. In case of suicide, thinking signs consider it a serious problem and consult with concern experts.
What can children and teens expect from treatment?(Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
Treatment of children having this illness get recover however for this support of family members, doctors and their friends and patients passion plays very greater role in the treatment of bipolar disorder.
A child’s bipolar disorder may change in some cases. When this occurs treatment needs to change as well. For an instant, the child may need a different medication. The doctor may changes treatment process. While Coming back of Symptoms after a while more adjustments may be needed. In this case, Treatment may take the longer time it could help many children and teens have fewer bipolar symptoms.
Recording of child mood change, behaviors, and sleep patterns may help to make treatment more effective. This is known as “daily life chart” or “mood chart.” This helps in understanding and taking the illness. This chart can also help a doctor to judge the effectiveness of treatment.
How can you help your child or teen?(Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
If a child has bipolar disorder, these are the basic things you should do.
- Remain patient.
- Inspire your child to talk, and pay attention to your child carefully.
- Understand about the mood episodes.
- Do some fun with your child?
- convince the child that treatment can make his life better.
What you should do when you know someone is in crisis.(Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens)
If you know or find someone trying to hurt himself or herself or someone else, get a quick response in helping him or her.
Do not leave the person alone and Call your doctor